Friday, November 14, 2014

Thoughts on being still

Today I'm linking up with the lovely Kate Motaung for Five Minute Friday. This is where we write for five minute on a prompt given for the week. No fancy writing or edits, just writing for the fun of it.  Won't you stop by and see what other writers have shared on the prompt "still"?



Life seems to work out so much better when I regularly tell myself this phrase,


 “be still”.


 It may be the right thing to say, but not the right time to say it. If I wait, maybe you will say it first. Maybe the conversation will go better. 

Maybe there will be more peace and less misunderstanding.

Being still has it’s advantages for sure. The one who keeps silent is considered wise, the scriptures say. I want to be considered wise even if I’m not. Is that unfair?






Being still might make you feel more important. Maybe if I let you talk more than I try to talk you will feel the love I have for you. Yes, there will be a time for me to share, but maybe this time it is time for me to be still and let you share. 

This is love.

Being still allows me to listen. It allows me to hear you better. It allows me to hear God’s voice better. 


When my voice is operating, it is interfering 

with how my ears are functioning.


I truly want my ears to function well. I want my voice to be still enough to hear what is important. Then, when I do have a chance to say something, maybe wisdom will come out of my mouth and not just a wave of hot air. 

Maybe it will be of substance and come across as wisdom to you, wisdom to me and wisdom to the world.

That is what I want out of choosing times to be still.

There is a time to be still and silent, and times to speak.


May I know the difference.


Thanks for stopping by today for five minutes of free writing!!
Blessings to you, friend!

~Anne

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. Glad I stopped by. I like your take on the prompt today.

    http://5heartsonefamily.blogspot.com/2014/11/co-parenting.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. i, too, search for that balance between listening and speaking. it is a difficult one to find that requires discernment from God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brillliant post. It can be so hard to know when to be still or to be still...as with everything in life, its a delicate balance we only sometimes get right and perhaps, with experience, manage to get right slightly more often than not!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...