Thursday, September 25, 2014

For when you need selective memory

I have this thing. 

This habit of remembering too much! I think a lot of people think of this as a positive trait. Yes, I want a great memory to remember things from my past that have brought me great joy. 

Like my wedding. Like the birth and childhood of each of my three beautiful children. Those are things that I don't ever want to forget. 

But, I seem to also have a keen memory for those things that I'd rather forget. 

Things that I need to forget. 

Things that are healthy for me to forget. 

Bad things that have happened to me that I have no business rehashing. They may not even be tragic things. Just things that have caused the opposite of joy. 

Joy stealers.

Unfortunately, I have an uncanny ability for reviewing in my mind those things that have stolen my joy. 



Does this ever happen to anyone else?


Why can't my mind automatically go to the things that have caused happiness and joy instead? For me, this is tends to be work. 

It must be a weakness of mine, this tendency to dwell on the negatives of the past and worry that they'll happen again. 

Today, I choose to continue the purposeful journey to having selective memory.



I'm choosing to continue to carefully select the joyful, peace-filled memories.


The ones that make the corners of my mouth turn upward instead of downward. The ones that warm my heart and fill me with joy too deep for words. 





This is a journey, I realize. This is a process. It is a growing edge that I'll probably always have to work on. 

But, thank goodness, I don't have to take this journey alone. I am so grateful that the God of all peace resides inside and beside me. I have His constant and ever-present help. 

Today, I choose to remember. Joy.



"Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

I Thessalonians 5:23



Blessings to you friend,

~Anne

Linking up today with Coffee for Your Heart.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Anne,
    LInking up next to you on Coffee for Your Heart. :)
    I can really relate. People tell me the same thing and I get teased about my ability to remember so much. I always say it's a blessing and a curse.
    A blessing to remember the sweet memories but also a curse to remember the yucky times that you DON'T want to remember.
    I love the verse in 1 Thessalonians! It's perfect!
    Thanks for sharing your heart and know you aren't alone with your memories! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Krista, for sharing! It is so good to know I am not alone in this, but don't wish this "curse" on anyone to remember the yucky times so easily. That verse came immediately to my mind although I know there are many! Blessings to you, friend!

      Delete
  2. Anne, your blog is just beautiful! I will be praying Phil. 4:8 for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Heather! I know I need it, and others do as well. So glad to know I am not alone in this struggle!

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, this is a struggle for me too. And the thing is I do not have a memory which remembers the good moments well. But for some reason I can remember those not so good moments. I want to remember the joy and let go of the joy-stealers.
    Being here makes me miss TWW. I know I made the right decision for now but still missing it.
    Blessings to you, Anne. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth as always for your comments! I had not kept up and read that you were putting TWW to the side for now, just found out when I tried to link up and there was none! I'll have to get with the program! I saw that your hubby just got back from leave. I am sure there is a lot of catching up to do with him. Blessings to you, friend!
      Anne

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...