Wednesday, September 10, 2014

When you need twenty seconds of insane courage






I watched We Bought a Zoo with my family the other night. It's one of my husbands favorites, so we've seen it four or five times. I admit, I actually made an inward sigh when that movie was chosen for the night. 

Even though I was sitting in my chair knitting feverishly, I surprised myself by paying more attention to certain parts of the movie this time than I have in previous viewings. 

One of the phrases that Benjamin Mee teaches his son is the phrase, 



"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage." 


He says this to his son because his son wants to talk to a cute girl, but he doesn't know how.

Towards the end of the movie, Mr. Mee starts telling the story to his kids of how he met their mother in a cafe. 

He said it took him telling himself that "all it takes is twenty seconds of insane courage" for him to approach the most beautiful girl in the world. He makes sure he tells them it ended well for him, because he ended up marrying her. He tells them, "this is when you became a possibility." I love that.



I can't tell you how many times in my life this statement would have come in handy for me.


Times when I was facing the fear of calling someone I was afraid of, 

walking into the new junior high for the first day of ninth grade, 

or even taking some new medicine that was supposed to help me.



These might seem trivial, but I needed twenty seconds of insane courage to do each of those things, and many more in my lifetime!


Twenty seconds of insane courage. 




You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of 

insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just 

embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great 

will come of it.~Benjamin Mee



This phrase actually prods me on. It bolsters my courage. If I can just muster twenty seconds of insane courage or embarrassing bravery what could I do!?

The possibilities excite me!

If you considered the possibilities of what having twenty seconds of insane courage could propel you do to, what would it be?

Blessings to you today, friend! Such great things to ponder!

~Anne

I'm linking up today with Holley at Coffee for Your Heart and Beth for Three Word Wednesday. 

2 comments:

  1. Great thought! There have been many times in my life when I needed that, and I haven't always thought of it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment! Yes, it really did make an impact on me this time I watched it! Here's to many times of using 20 seconds of insane courage!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...