Wednesday, April 17, 2013

God, the Fascinating One

Isaiah 18:4

For thus the Lord has said to me: I will be still and I will look on from My dwelling place, 

like clear and glowing heat in sunshine, like a fine cloud of mist in the heat of harvest.




This verse was a tweet I ran across the other morning. I found it fascinating! I decided to do a little dissecting of this verse since it intrigued me. 

God talks about His 'dwelling place.' Wait! I thought God was everywhere at once! And yet, He talks about His "house" or the place that He is. I love this description He does of Himself.


I've been thinking a lot lately about how God says "Be still" to me. But, it's a new thought for me that God describes Himself as being still. Really? I've usually thought of God in terms of Him moving somehow in my life or in the lives of others. God being still. Hm. That's a new one.

God compares His overseeing of the events on earth to clear heat in sunshine. This sounds weird at first. Heat is something we don't see, but we feel it on our skin. It affects us. Makes us perspire. Comparatively, we don't see God directly, as in His face. We cannot often see Him while He's right there doing his thing in our lives, but afterwards we know that He has been there! He is a most mysterious God and we see the effects His presence has in our lives. 

He also compares how He 'looks on' us to a 'fine cloud of mist in the heat of harvest.' A fine cloud of mist is also not very noticeable, but you can feel it on your skin if you walk through it. It will make you damp.

Heat warms the skin, a mist cools the skin. God compares Himself to both of these effects which He Himself created! He is everything and beyond understanding.



Thank you, Heavenly Father, that even though You are mysterious and beyond understanding, You want to be known by us so you describe your mysterious self to us in words we can grasp. 

Lord, I praise You that You are beyond finding out. You are so big and mighty and I know You are in control, even though I don't understand many times what You are up to. I am comforted knowing You are in charge and I don't have to be. 
Amen

linking up with other God-sized dreamers at holleygerth.com. Join in!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anne,
    I am glad I linked up behind you at Holley's so I can read your encouraging words. I felt kindred to you when I read your little bio about moving toward "emotional freedom." Yes :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...