Saturday, February 28, 2015

Six things I learned in February

Linking up today with Emily Freeman at Chatting at the Sky for her monthly "What I learned" link-up. It's a time to reflect on some things learned in the month. Not always deeply serious. Sometimes silly.


1.  Selfies with taxidermy can be fun. 


Hubby and I had a little get-away over Valentine's Day. We never knew we'd have so much fun in a natural history museum. But, things started getting interesting when we started taking selfies with the animals. People, we don't get away much.


 

2. Don't go out in the winter night with your slippers on.

Well, remember last month I shared about my fall at JC Penney while returning some pj's? Well, just at the beginning of February, my hubby thought he'd better go out on the porch at 9:00pm and put some salt out before our son came home. 

He took one step out on the porch in his SLIPPERS! and fell right on his tailbone. He said he learned why slippers are called slippers. I learned from his fall never to wear my slippers on icy steps. I can't even stay upright in my own shoes!

3.  Think twice about striking up a convo with a stranger in the knife aisle at Target.

One day this month I was looking at knife blocks in Target. I haven't bought new knives in a coon's age. I made the mistake of striking up a conversation right there with a woman who was also shopping for knives. She felt like she had to tell me her mishap with a sharp knife. I was so regretting being friendly in that moment.

4.  Serving is good for the soul.

For the first time ever, I joined my mom and my daughter for a shift in packaging Meals from the Heartland at my church. These meals will feed the hungry in Africa, Haiti and even in my own home town. I'm grateful to have served in this way, and will do it again.





5.  You never know when insomnia might come in handy.

A good night's sleep is a precious commodity to me these days. I am sleeping better, but not always. The other night, I was up walking around and I saw movement through the curtains out into the front yard. At first I was a little spooked until I went to the door and looked out the window. 

What I saw took my breath away. There in the snow, munching on who knows what were three deer. I felt like these deer were treasures in my night time and I was truly 
blessed. 




6. Eliminating sugar isn't as bad as I thought.

I've discovered some wonderful low carb beverages and meals and desserts on Pinterest. I've been trying to follow the Trim Healthy Mama book of dropping white sugar out of my diet. I'm reminding myself daily to "enjoy the journey." I have a Trim Healthy Mama Pinterest board if you want to get a glimpse of the recipes I've been pinning.


Thanks for stopping by, friend!

Blessings to you!

~Anne

5 comments:

  1. I don't always sleep well either - what a lovely gift you got in the night! I don't usually wear slippers around the house but have started to recently after slipping twice on our wood floors. Thankfully I was able to right myself before falling but it scared me a bit. And - love how you serve : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Mindy! Be careful on those wood floors!! But, don't go outside in those slippers! Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear of your hubby's fall. Poor guy! I've done that twice! Please pass along my compassion for him. I love that you share the things you've learned. I learn something every time you share. Sometimes it's good to embrace our wakefulness. The deer were a gift. Big hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend! I so appreciate your kind words! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...