Sunday, February 8, 2015

What would you keep?

We moved to a smaller home about two months ago. As I wrote in an earlier post, I had to get rid of a lot to downsize, which includes letting go of a lot of decor for my walls and lovelies that would sit out on table tops.

And, you know what I've discovered? All of the things that I thought I could never get rid of, that I thought I would have to keep and put up on my new walls right away are still sitting in a leaning pile in my new basement. This tells me a few things.

It tells me that these material things aren't really that important to me after all. The only thing I have put up on my walls in two months is a new clock I bought at IKEA because the old jumbo clock had to go.

I am also way less attached to those things waiting for me in my basement. I am almost thinking about taking them to the consignment store.

I find myself almost wanting to start over on my walls after so many years of carting around the same old things. Except for pictures of my family. I want to keep those.





What do you have in your home or in your life that you think you just could not live without if it went missing, or someone took it out of your home/life for awhile? 

What if you tried it? 
I know...radical.

I think I am enjoying the freedom and spaciousness of blank walls for awhile. It's been room to breathe so to speak. Fresh painted gray walls with nothing on them to clutter them up or put nail holes in.


Don't get me wrong though, the wheels are starting to turn. 
Bare walls will have edited lovelies on them once again.



Linking up with other writers at Kate Motaung's blog for Five Minute Friday. Just five minutes of silencing the inner critic and writing free. Stop on over there for all of the details to join in!

6 comments:

  1. I appreciate the idea of choosing what to keep -- it's so easy to just accumulate without being mindful about what and why. Thanks for sharing your journey and in that photo your new place looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, TC! Sorry for the delayed response. I have found quite the peace in editing my possessions. I never thought I would.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful site Anne! It does seem to feel liberating to just get rid of some stuff. Almost like getting a new hair cut :) You have motivated me to tackle that closet of mine. Whew, that will definitely feel better. ~ visiting from #fmfpartysnailmail Round 5!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Carmen, and I'm glad this could encourage you! How's that closet coming?? :)

      Delete
  3. I'm actually fond of somewhat bare walls. I'd previously be a collector of various things but have since gone with a simpler approach to decorating. I do have a collection of items I would one day like to hang in the spare room (office). Scripture/inspirational things. From the one picture it looks like you have a lovely home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth! My tastes have been evolving, too! Kind of interesting and weird at the same time. I never thought they would. I've always been a collector and now, I'm fine with editing some of my collections or having gotten rid of some altogether. Thanks for stopping!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...