Tuesday, November 6, 2012

When joy is hard to come by

Waking up with a headache today, joy's been a bit hard to come by. I just posted last night about how I need to choose to believe. To believe God is good. I guess I need to choose my joy today, too. 

It's a difficult thing to grasp, this joy thing. In Galatians it says that joy is a part of the fruit of the Spirit that is already in me as a daughter of God. But, I still need to choose it? I think I remember talking about this in my Sing yourself happy post. You can see I still do not have a handle on this. 

Most of the headache is gone, but my joy meter is still running on empty. What do I do? What do I choose?

I prayed.

God, help me with joy. Help me to have joy. I know that the joy of the Lord is my strength and stronghold and I want to be strong.

Then, I heard in my heart, What brings you joy?

I think the Spirit wanted me to start rehearsing the things that bring me joy. So practical is my God!

getting my hair done
chai tea latte's from Starbucks
making my home look beautiful 
flavored water
encouraging someone else

Those are a few of the things that came in to my head right away. 

Now, I can choose some things from this list. 

I called for an appointment to get my hair cut and colored. Turns out I can get in tomorrow. I texted my daughter, "yay!" Something small to rejoice over.

I'm drinking a SoBe flavored water. happy face.

I'm going to do one thing to beautify my surroundings. I have tons of stuff I could do, but my first thing will be small. Like light my pumpkin spice candle.

My spirit is lighter just thinking about some of these things I can do. 

Thank you, God, for the Indescribable Gift of Your Spirit in me reminding me to choose joy and lovingly showing me how to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...