Wednesday, October 7, 2015

{Day 7}: flexibility and persistence of soul



Water is patient. Dripping water wears away a stone. Remember that, my child. Remember you are half water. If you can't go through an obstacle, go around it. Water does." ~Margaret Atwood



Just this morning I encountered my own inflexibility. I'm embarrassed to say this, but it was about a tortilla. I'm only going to keep writing because I'm probably safe in thinking this might have happened to someone else. Sometime.


I thought I'd seen it at a grocery store hubby and I had stopped at once, near our house, to pick up something else.

So, right before lunch, I said to myself, "I'm out of those tortillas and I think ____ has them. I'll just hop on over there real quick and pick some up so I can make my favorite quesadilla for lunch!"

But, I got there, and looked all around, found the frozen gluten free section, and no, I'd been mistaken, or they quit carrying it. I think I may have even muttered something under my breath in the store. I was miffed.

I had my mind set on having a quesadilla for lunch. 

I was too hungry at this point to go driving all over town in search of said tortilla.

I got in the car and could feel my neck tensing up (over a tortilla?). 

After backing out of my parking space, I realized I was tense and took a couple of deep breaths and said out loud, "It is what it is." At least I realized I was tense and that I'd better change my attitude before I got a headache over this!





Now that I'm home, and my tummy is full from a lunch of leftover chili, I can reflect on my impatience about the tortilla. 

When I see the above quote, I can realize that I am made of water and I can "go with the flow".

When I remember I am made of water, it gives me hope. Hope because water moves around obstacles. Things like boulders do not intimidate water. Water goes where it wants to. 

It's flexible. 
It flows. 
Smoothly. 
Gracefully. 
Persistent.

It's patient and can wear away a stone. Not overnight, mind you, but over time. Like water, I can change the the way I think about the circumstances surrounding me. With time and practice.

I can be flexible. I can bend and bow without breaking. Sometimes, I don't remember this and sometimes I feel caught. Trapped in times and situations that I feel will break me. 

Note to self, you are made of more strength, gumption and flexibility than you give yourself credit for.

This goes for you, too, friend! We can grow into being more flexible. You are stronger, have more gumption (what exactly is that?) and more flexible that you realize.

Thanks for joining me on this 7th day of Soul Spas! Hop on over here to see a list of all Soul Spa posts so far!




Blessings to you!
~Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...