Thursday, October 8, 2015

{Day 8}: your creative soul {part 1}



"I'm not very creative" doesn't work. There's no such thing as creative people and non-creative people. There are only people who use their creativity and people who don't.

 Unused creativity doesn't just disappear. It lives within us until it's expressed, neglected to death, or suffocated by resentment and fear." 
~Dr. Brene Brown in The Gifts of Imperfection


This was one of the most freeing things I read in the book The Gifts of Imperfection. There's no such thing as creative people and non-creative people. Hmmm. That was a totally new thought. I no longer had any excuses not to create. Something. Some how.

One day, recently, I sat down and jotted down some of the obstacles I encounter when I think about being creative.  I was surprised to easily come up with a list of about thirteen right off the top of my head. I've narrowed my list to ten.


Top 10 obstacles to creating:

1. feeling "locked up" on the inside
2. time
3. comparison
4. perfectionism
5. "not good enough"
6. fear of what others will think
7. fear of rejection
8. lack of motivation
9. lack of inspiration
10. wondering if any of it matters

Things that go through my head.  What matters anyway? What really matters if I don't create? If I don't write or paint, or decorate my home, what does it matter? What does any of it mean, anyway? (pretty negative stuff, huh?)

It's not that my soul doesn't want to create. It really does! It's just that for so long I was afraid of showing up and being seen. I was caught in the comparison trap that kills creativity. I was also afraid of what my friends and family would think. I was afraid of not being good enough. 

Tomorrow, I want to share Part 2 with you. I want to share what's happened as I've taken some steps to unleash intentional creativity. Hopefully, it will encourage you that you, too, are a creative being and your soul wants to create! 

Here's to learning to let our creative souls soar!

Blessings to you, friend,

~Anne

Thanks for joining me on this 8th day of my Soul Spa series! Check back here for a list of all 31 Days of Soul Spas posts! Or if you'd like to receive each post in your inbox, simply type your email into the box on the sidebar of my blog!

I'm taking part in #write30days, a project with 100's of other bloggers each writing on a topic for the month of October. Head on over to write31days.com to see what it's all about






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...