Monday, October 14, 2013

Dare to Be: You--likes, dislikes and all {Day 14}

I've had to give myself permission to have likes, dislikes and opinions. (I referred to this in Day 10). I know it sounds crazy, but because of the circumstances when I was little, plus my personality, I was compelled to please and keep my voice quiet.

Today, I thought I'd tell you some of my likes and dislikes in no particular order. I'm thinking of this as a training exercise because for me to disclose things about myself is a stretch. 

I'm daring myself to disclose, but even these are pretty tame.


1. I drink tea every morning. I used to be intimidated to brew loose tea, (it seemed so complicated) but I got my little red teapot with a tea strainer for Christmas a few years ago and I learned that it's not a big deal at all. And, I learned that I love it.



2. Gong Fu tea is my go-to right now, and I probably spend too much money on it. My daily morning tea is Dalai's Daily. 

3.  I don't like talking politics, so if one of those conversations comes up, I'll more than likely sit it out.

4. I don't listen to a lot of music. I'm not one of these people who has a huge playlist. I am content to listen to Phillips, Craig and Dean worship music, Josh Groban or Michael Buble. I like some acoustic music, too, but right now don't listen to a lot of different kinds or artists. Mostly, I like quiet.

5.  I grew up having a dog on the farm. I would love one again, but this is one thing that has been non-negotiable in our marriage. :) So, about three years ago, I got a canary. I wanted "someone" to sing to me when my kids all left the nest. I named him Gideon. And, he is a beautiful singer.



6.  I'm always reading more than one book at once. Right now I am reading A Million Little Ways by Emily Freeman, and Centering Prayer by Cynthia Bourgeault. I prefer non-fiction to fiction any day. There's too much to learn!

7.  I don't like to cook. Cooking is a necessary evil because I have to eat, but I'd much rather go out! (I'm trying to change this view, however, because I know what is healthiest for my body and my budget.)



What about you? Has it ever been difficult for you to disclose yourself to others? Does it feel safe? I'd love to hear from you!



Click on my button for a list of all 31 Days posts. Thanks for stopping by!
  

1 comment:

  1. You sound perfectly delightful. So glad you dared in this way. Yes, revealing myself is a bit of a stretch to me also. Writing my "about" page felt strange. We are who we are though, right? It is a way to find others with common interests though, which is always comforting....like reading that we have newly discovered loose tea (I use Aveda...the salon...loose tea, mmmm), not listening to much music, definitely non-fiction preference, and not liking to cook (thank God my husband does) in common. I knew I liked you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...