Friday, October 18, 2013

Dare to Create Space for Yourself {Day 18}

I  really thought we were going to move. I thought we'd be out of our current house long before now. Last year was spent sorting, cleaning, getting rid of bunches of stuff on Craig's List, at Goodwill and just throwing stuff out. 

I had us moved, so I haven't been at all interested in decorating this house lately. 

I love to pick out paint colors, rearrange furniture, hang things on the walls in pleasing displays. I have a mixture of decorating styles, but mostly my decor has been "early attic", meaning I had lots of things and furniture handed down to me.

I could call it:

Country farmhouse
Vintage
Romantic 
Pottery Barn wannabe
{these are not professional terms :)}

I love junking. Antiquing, too, but the prices are much higher than junking. :)

I've pulled wreaths out of dumpsters, and chairs off the curb. I like to re-purpose. I would say I am artistic and crafty.

But, after thirteen years in the same home, I've gotten pretty tired of looking at the same walls.


The last week or two though I've been thinking, I'm here, so why not make the best of it for now? Why not create a space for me out of some unused space in our house?

My mind went to our periwinkle guest bedroom that never has any guests.

I've thought more seriously about turning it into a prayer/DIY/writing/creating space for just myself. I love that idea. 



Here are the before pics of my guest bedroom:






I think I was in a "I want this to be a shabby chic bedroom with all white furniture, so periwinkle will look great on the walls" faze.

So much for that.

Now, I badly want neutral. Something similar in style to The Nester and City Farmhouse. I love their decorating styles. Lighter, brighter, neutral.

My next step is to create a Pinterest Board called something like My Creative Space and start pinning away.

I am getting kind of excited about this.

Periwinkle will become a light tan or a barely there blue. Periwinkle will be no more.

Next will be searching the house (or Craig's List or Goodwill) for furniture that will promote rest, relaxation and creativity. For me.

Even if it is just a corner of a room, having a space we can call our own even if just for thinking is a great idea. Do you agree?

~Anne

P.S. I'll keep you posted on the progress of my creative space-to-be.
P.P.S. If you have any ideas for me, I'd love to hear your input!


How about you? Do you have a place where you go to create, write or just meditate? I'd love to hear about it in the comments!


Click on my button to see a list of all 31 Days posts! Thanks for stopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...