Thursday, October 11, 2012

eyes wide open: taking the scenic road {day 11}

I had this awesome idea today for a post. I drive to the town where all three of my kids are in college and my husband works. Thirty miles away for lunch with my middle son and my husband. I get this great idea to blog about "taking the scenic road home.

See, I usually take the interstate for the thirty or so miles it takes to get there and home. But, there is a more direct way. It is a two lane highway. Instead of seventy miles per hour, the speed limit is fifty-five. So, it's slower. Well, at least it seems slower.

I make kind of a split second decision right before I get to the entrance ramp to the interstate. I think I'll take the highway. I'll bet it will be really scenic. I don't have to get home in a hurry. I'll take my time and enjoy the view.

And, you know what? The views were wonderful. My pace was relaxed. So relaxed that the guy behind me was so close to my bumper that I couldn't see his headlights in my rear view mirror. I thought, I'm probably ticking him off. So, I instantaneously speed up to sixty. I worry so much about what other people think. Even strangers. Kind of ridiculous.

I get out my smart phone and I find the camera app. I think, I'll take some pics all along this highway and make a post about the scenic road home. The pics will add so much. They will be so good.

But, alas, my phone software and my computer software decided not to get along tonight. The really neat photos of my "scenic road home" are stuck on my phone. 


So. You'll have to just imagine it with me. Two-lane highway. Sunny. Trees of gold, green, orange. Scant traffic except for the guy on my bumper that won't pass me. Wispy clouds. Silence. I decide I want to just take in the beauty of the drive with no music 
It was peaceful. It was beautiful. It was relaxing. No tearing down the interstate at seventy with cars passing me on the left. Just leisure.

How often do I take the scenic route in life and not worry about "getting there"? Usually I am running behind, so the scenic route is not an option. I'm thankful today, though, that I took the s-l-o-w route. The relaxed pace. Taking in God's. Fall. Beauty.

Let me know in the comments if you've ever taken the scenic road, just because. And how you felt. I'd love to hear from you!

Vowing to take the scenic road more often.

see day 1 for a list of all 31 posts

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I do that too with drivers, wondering what they are thinking about my driving. Its so silly! :) Sometimes a drive like this is just what I need. I'll find a nice canopy road and just soak it in. Glad you had a nice day with your family!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...