Wednesday, October 10, 2012

eyes wide open: how I became my own best friend {day 10}

I write letters to myself.  (see Letter to Teenage Me post)

I learned how valuable this tool can be in a class I took about eleven years ago called Christ Life Solutions (now called The Ultimate Journey). The idea is to become an ally (or friend) to the child you used to be, or the adult you are now. 

You can write to yourself about a current situation you are facing. Maybe you are so angry at someone that you just don't know how to proceed in the relationship. Writing a letter to yourself can give clarity that sometimes just plain journal keeping cannot. It can really help you see the situation differently.

I have written many, many letters to myself. You know, for the times when I just can't get my mind and emotions around something that happened to me. Or there's something that someone did to me, and I want and need to forgive them but can't for the life of me see how that could ever happen. Sometimes my emotions are too much in the way of making a good decision in a situation. Writing a letter to myself in those times has been so very, very healing.

What matters is that you tell yourself what a wise and awesome person you are. (smile) You affirm yourself about what you know in your heart the truth is about yourself and the situation you're facing, even if your emotions don't want to let you in on the truth.

When I was a young girl between the ages of about six and ten, I was pretty pudgy. I didn't feel good about myself at all. For some reason, I had a pink dress that had an elephant shaped belt buckle on it! Now, I ask you, who in their right mind would design such a thing for a young girl's dress? It is beyond me! Seems to me, that is a set up for getting teased. And, it was. And, it was hurtful. I am 49 and I still remember it and it did some damage to my young emotions.

 I still struggle with body image. But, I've learned a thing or two over the years. I've learned to affirm my younger self, instead of despise myself. 

I found this picture of myself with the elephant belt buckle on it a few days ago. I think nine year old Anne still needs to hear from me about this. She needs to know that she's precious. That God loves her and values her no matter what people say about her or her dress. She'll be getting a letter from me soon.


see day 1 for a list of all 31 posts






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...